- OMS ported to 32-bit.
- New Opportunities Window
- Group Security is introduced.
- Maximizer Enterprise 4.0 Address book folder Compatibility - Maximizer Enterprise 4.0 has a new group security feature that has resulted in a change of the Maximizer Enterprise 4.0 file structure. If you try to open existing Maximizer data (data created with versions of Maximizer prior to Maximizer Enterprise 4.0) with Maximizer Enterprise 4.0, you will be prompted with two warning messages. These will warn you that if you choose to proceed and open the data, the data will be converted to the new file structure. After the conversion, older versions of Maximizer and Maximizer Enterprise will not be able to read the data.
This conversion process is password protected and can only be performed by the MASTER user.
If you attempt to read data that has been converted to the Maximizer Enterprise 4.0 file structure with an older version of Maximizer or Maximizer Enterprise, you will receive an Error Code of 51. If you get this message, the only way to regain access to your data will be to upgrade to Maximizer Enterprise 4.0 or subsequent releases. Or, you can uninstall Maximizer Enterprise 4.0 and restore your old data.
If you are using Maximizer Enterprise with a network Address Book folder, all users' computers must be upgraded at the same time.
Older versions of Maximizer Link for PalmPilot, Maximizer CELink, Maximizer PilotLink and Pocket Maximizer are incompatible with data that you have created or accessed with the Maximizer Enterprise 4.0. You must upgrade these programs to version 4.0.
- Address Book Metaphor - The Address Book contains all the companies and individuals you enter. The Address Book also shows you a summary listing the number of each type of entry. When you click on a company or individual in the Address Book, Maximizer Enterprise automatically highlights the associated contact in the Contacts window.
- Auto-Capitalizing and Auto-Fill of Text Entries - When you add entries to your Address Book, Maximizer Enterprise automatically capitalizes information in the text entry fields for you. In addition, Maximizer Enterprise will auto-complete common city names and other drop-down list items after you type the first few characters. Add new entries to drop-down lists by selecting [Edit List]-the first item in the drop-down list.
- New Icon Bar and Customizable Toolbars - The new Icon bar and Toolbar settings let you decide whether toolbars are docked or floating, and save all the changes you make. You can dock the View toolbar within each window. For example, in the Address Book, you can select a column setup. In the Contacts window, you can display or hide the associated companies or individuals. In the Notes, Documents and User-Defined Fields windows, you can filter the types of entries to display. In the Hotlist, Journal, and Expenses windows, you can view items by date range. In addition, you can create custom toolbars using a new Maximizer Enterprise Wizard. You can create buttons to link to a Web site, launch an application, run a macro, or execute a command stored in a user-defined field.
- Smart Rebuild of Address Book on Startup - When Maximizer Enterprise starts, it asks you what kind of Address Book list you want to see. If you later want to restore a saved list, you can select one using the View> Favorite Lists command. To view the last list you were working with when you left Maximizer Enterprise, simply select View>Last List.
- Standard Windows 95 Selection of Entries - Select commands and mouse clicks replace the Mark Entries commands and key- and mouse-click combinations. Select entries using standard Windows 95 selection techniques and use the Select and De-select commands on the shortcut menus as well as the Select All, De-select All and Invert Selection commands on the Edit menu.
- Wizards for Automating Common Maximizer Enterprise Tasks - The new Wizards step you through the process of creating an Address Book entry, making an appointment, scheduling a Hotlist activity, and inserting an OLE object. Download new Wizards from Maximizer DirectAccess as they become available.
- Ability to Duplicate Address Book and Contacts Column Setups - You can use the Save As button in the Column Setup dialog box to copy your setups so that you can easily modify them for other purposes. A Column Setup button has been added to both the Address Book and Contacts windows.
- Backup/Restore All Files - There is a new Yes To All option when you restore files to a different folder, so that you do not have to confirm the restore of individual files.
- Call Management Features - In addition to telephony support for TAPI-compliant modems or cards, Maximizer Enterprise includes the following call management features.
- Call Timer Pause - You can pause the timer so that you can make notes, and log phone calls.
- Call Follow-Up Activity Scheduling - When you hang up, Maximizer Enterprise asks if you want to schedule a follow-up activity, just as it does when you complete a Hotlist task. However, if you do not want Maximizer Enterprise to display this prompt, you can turn it off in Preferences.
- Customizable Windows 95 User Interface - You can split the main display in a tabbed windows view or retain the standard windows view. A single toggle command lets you switch between views. Set up your display to tab between Notes, Documents and User-Defined Fields displays in a single window or retain the more familiar individual window interface. The Clients window has been replaced with a more familiar Address Book metaphor. When you select a company or individual in the Address Book, Maximizer Enterprise automatically locates the contact. Maximizer Enterprise gives you much more control over the appearance of Maximizer Enterprise windows and the preferences you can set. Maximizer Enterprise also displays the name of the current user in the Status bar.
- Address book folder Import Formats - Support for DOS (ASCII) and Windows (ANSI) character sets when importing letters, numbers, and symbols. In the Import Address Book Entries dialog box, checking DOS Text will import ASCII format files, while leaving this option unchecked imports Windows ANSI format files.
- Easier Notes Viewing - The Notes window includes Previous and Next buttons to view all notes for a company or individual without leaving the Notes window.
- E-mail Inbox - The Toolbar includes a new E-mail Inbox button (between the Phone Log and Activity Log). The E-mail Inbox dialog box shows the contents of your mail system's Inbox. You can sort the column headings by clicking the desired column. When you click a message, Maximizer Enterprise displays the Address Book entry for individuals, companies, or contacts. You can also use the Search button to search for corresponding Address Book entries and the New Entry button to add a new company, individual or contact entry for the sender to the Address Book. Double-clicking or selecting Open opens the Maximizer Enterprise mail reader where you can view mail and attachments. You can also use the Save button to save using one of the following options: save the sender's address to the *E-mail Address user-defined field, update the existing value in that field, or delete the E-mail from the Inbox after it is saved. You can also delete entries and assign them to a particular Address Book entry.
- FACS extension for faxes - You can use the FACS extension for faxes. Maximizer Enterprise uses the first occurrence of either FAX or FACS (upper-, lower-, or mixed case) during an E-mail merge or during fax transmission.
- Graphing - You can create graphs that show the distribution of your Address Book entries by categories such as state or province, age range, source, type, position, industry, purchase statistics, or by status such as Active, Inactive, or Pending. You can also graph sales results. You can build charts that show where to concentrate your sales or prospecting efforts and what promotions have been successful.
- Group Security - You can restrict access to information in the Maximizer Enterprise folder to specific groups of users in your organization. For example, you can allow access to accounting Address Book entries and their associated notes, documents and user-defined fields (UDFs) to only accounting users. Members of other groups may be restricted from accessing these entries. As the MASTER user, you set up a user group security and specify which users belong to it. When a user wants to restrict access to a specific entry, they simply assign group security in the IDentification and Security group box of the Address Book entry. By restricting access by group, only users in that group can work with the entry; non-group members cannot view those entries or their associated notes or documents.
All users, regardless of the group they belong to, can access public and privately owned records. For example, User1 of the "Accounting" group above view all of their own records, all records owned by the "Accounting" group, and all Public records.
If you want some users (including the MASTER User) to access all records in the Address Book, you may either:
- make each user a member of all groups
- enable a user's Open Others' Private Entries flag in Preferences > User Groups A user may be a member of one or more groups. Only a MASTER user can create groups, maintain group memberships or delete groups. Note that by default, a Master is a member of each group created in Maximizer Enterprise. At any time, a Master user may remove themselves from a group or add themselves to a group.
- Hotlist Searches by Activity Description - You can search the Hotlist for activity descriptions by typing in a text string in the Build Hotlist dialog box, accessible from the Hotlist toolbar or View menu.
- Import of Saved Lists by Date Reference - When you import saved lists, Maximizer Enterprise automatically creates a catalog of records called Imported Date. You can easily identify this list by date by selecting the Favorite Lists command from the View menu.
- Integration with Word and WordPerfect - The Maximizer Enterprise setup program automatically detects whether you have Word or WordPerfect on your computer and then installs the appropriate files, as you request, to use those word processors with Maximizer Enterprise. It adds a button to the Maximizer Enterprise custom toolbar for launching your word processor, and adds a set of Maximizer Enterprise buttons to the toolbar in the word processor itself.
- Maximizer DirectAccess - Maximizer Direct Access connects you to the Maximizer home page, where you can read about the latest news from Maximizer, contact technical support, get new Maximizer Enterprise Wizards, and use List Merchant to transfer potential customer names and addresses into the Maximizer Enterprise Address Book folder.
- New Scheduling Features
- Recurring Appointments - Recurring appointments are stored as a linked series that you can modify or delete for any calendar period; you do not need to modify or delete individual appointments. You can change the time of any single appointment in a recurring series; however if you try to change the day, Maximizer Enterprise will warn you, and if you proceed, create a new non-recurring appointment.
- Appointments with other users - When you schedule appointments with other users, you can notify the other users in the group and request an RSVP. When you check the Notify Others in the Add Appointments with Other Users dialog box, the other users receive a reply form in the dialog box unless they have their alarms turned off. Under Your Response, they can select None, Accept, Decline, or Tentative. When you update a group appointment, you can choose to update Just Myself or choose Selected Users to update everyone in the group.
- OLE Drag and Drop and Insert Object - You can now drag and drop OLE objects, such as files from Explorer, selected text in a Word document, bitmaps, and other objects into Maximizer Enterprise. The objects are linked to the currently selected Address Book entry. In the Add OLE Document For dialog box, you can insert selected text from a document as a text note by clicking the Note radio button. Any other object, such as a complete document, file, or bitmap dragged from Explorer, is inserted as an OLE Document. You type an Object Name and select one of the following options:
Create OLE Link: Link the document to the original file so that it is automatically updated. If this option is selected and the original file is moved to another workstation and placed in a different folder, you can use the Edit Links command on the Edit menu to re-establish the link.
Display Document as Icon: View the document as an icon in the Documents window.
Make Document Private: Create a private document (if Security is turned on).
Activate Document: Open the document by immediately launching the associated application.
You can also use the Insert Object command on the Documents window shortcut menu or the Paste Link command on the Edit menu.
- OLE Enhancements - One of the most powerful features in Maximizer Enterprise - Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) - is now automated. With OLE you can attach objects, such as Excel spreadsheets or Microsoft Word documents, to your Address Book entries. The icons for the files now display in the Documents window, and launching their associated applications by double-clicking is much faster.
- Personal Organizer and Calendar Book - The Address Book that you can print is now called the Personal Organizer. As with previous versions, you can also print a Calendar Book that lists the appointments and important dates you need to track.
- Preferences Enhancements - The Preferences dialog box has been redesigned as a tabbed dialog box and includes the following features.
- Security tab
All user rights appear on the Security tab.
The System Defaults dialog box has a Disable Creation of Internet UDFs checkbox. Using this option prevents automatic creation of the *E-mail Address and *Web Page user-defined fields.
- History tab
Includes a new Log Scheduled Tasks option. When this option is checked, the date and time the task was created are logged as a task note.
- Format tab
Placement options are now on the Format tab, including the new Do Not Include Country preference.
- Calendar tab
Includes a new Carry Forward Unfinished Tasks option. Any unfinished tasks in the Hotlist column of the daily Calendar view are carried forward if this option is checked.
- Dialing tab
This tab replaces the Modem dialog box in previous versions of Maximizer Enterprise. A new TAPI radio button lets you set up Maximizer Enterprise to handle Calling Card dialing, and Call Waiting services available from your local telephone company. You need a TAPI-compliant modem or card to use these features. Clicking the Modem button accesses the standard Modem settings.
- TAPI (Telephony Application Programming Interface) Support
TAPI lets you use your Telephony Application Programming Interface modem or card to identify and direct signals received by your communications port to the appropriate application. The Properties button lets you set up your Dialing Properties, including area code and location, outside line and long distance prefixes, as well as enable Calling Card dialing and disable Call Waiting. The Device tab lets you set up your TAPI-compliant modem or card and specify the Line and Address.
- Envelopes, Labels and Reports tabs
These settings are identical to the ones in File>Page Setup.
- Printing and Mailing Options Enhancements
*Envelopes - Barcodes: Maximizer Enterprise now creates automatic POSTNET barcodes for U.S. addresses using a TrueType POSTools font. The Address Book entry must have a U.S. Zip Code. Although not certified for postage discounts, use of bar codes can reduce postal delivery time.
Additional Address Lines: You can add two additional lines - one text line and one Maximizer Enterprise user-defined field - above the regular address. For example, you can print a text line such as Personal and Confidential or include a user-defined field such as Account Number.
Return Addresses: You can use the File>Print Envelopes>Advanced command to enter a return address. Each time you print an envelope, you can check or uncheck the Print Return Address checkbox. This address is stored in the Windows 95 Registry, so each workstation can have only one return address; they are not shared on the network.
- Print Preview - When you print reports, labels, and envelopes, the Print Preview allows you to zoom the view, go to a previous or next page and Print directly from the Preview window.
- Do Not Include Country Preference
You can use the File>Preferences>Format Do Not Include preference for Country Placement to omit the country from domestic mailings.
- Unified Page Setup for Envelopes, Labels and Reports
File>Page Setup is a single tabbed dialog box for Envelopes, Labels, and Reports.
- Mail to Specific Contact or to Company
When you print envelopes from the Address Book or Hotlist, you can check Observe Receives Mail under Advanced options. This sends mail to the contact you specify with the Receives Mail Sent to Company checkbox on the Mailing Address tab of the Basic Information dialog box. Otherwise, mail is directed to the company.
- Sales Management - Using the Maximizer Enterprise opportunity management function, you can:
- Create strategies-detailed plans that identify the factors that influence a sale and the activities you must perform to close the opportunity
- Apply these strategies to business opportunities.
- Effectively schedule and coordinate the selling process among all members of your sales team.
- Ensure that all the right people in your organization have up-to-date information about the status of your opportunities.
- Forecast the probability of successfully closing your opportunities.
- Analyze the effectiveness of your strategies and create new ones for new opportunities.
- Timer Accelerator Keys - You can use either the Actions>Time a Task command or Shift+F9 to time a task.
- Sort Order Selection - You can specify Ascending or Descending sort order for all sortable columns. To change sort order, click the column heading or right-click the column header and select the order from the shortcut menu.
- User Specified Address Book Folder Naming - When you create a new Address Book folder, you can name it whatever you wish. The name is also used as the folder path. For example, C:\Maxwin\My Folder. This allows you to take advantage of Windows 95 long file names.
- User-Defined Fields Enhancements
- Checkbox Selection and Modification of User-Defined Fields
- You can now add and modify items in user-defined fields by selecting items from checkboxes. No matter how many table-type user-defined fields you define, the name of the Table field appears only once in the User-Defined Fields window. Double-clicking on the field allows you to view and modify the included items. Use Shift-Down Arrow to select several user-defined fields. Use the Spacebar to check and uncheck items.
- Improved Search Capability
- The Search function uses the same checkboxes as do the Add and Modify functions. You can now also use wildcards when you are searching for alphanumeric field entries.
- Ability to Save User-Defined Field Setups
- You can use the Save As button in the User-Defined Fields Setup dialog box to duplicate your setups so that you can use them again or modify them.
- Web Site User-Defined Field and Toolbar Button
- Maximizer Enterprise automatically creates a *Web Page user-defined field. The new Web Page button on the toolbar launches this location. You can disable the automatic creation of this field in Preferences by clicking the System Defaults button and selecting Disable Creation of Internet UDFs.
- Table User-Defined Fields Automatically Merged in MaxEdit
- If there is a merge field for a Table user-defined field in a MaxEdit document, all the associated table items are automatically merged.